Historic Greenwood Cemetery
Greenwood Cemetery was organized in 1874 to serve the needs of the growing black population of post-civil war St. Louis and St. Louis County. It was the first commercial non-sectarian cemetery for African Americans in the St Louis metropolitan area. More than 50,000 Africans Americans are buried within Greenwood’s 31.85 acres. Greenwood Cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 26, 2004. In 2016, was placed on the St Louis County Historic Landmarks and most recently bestowed the honor of being listed on the National Underground Railway Network to Freedom in September 2023. On January 15, 2024, was given the Rosa L. Park Award for Meritorious Service to the Community.
Help Make a Difference
After historic flooding in St. Louis and vandalism, Greenwood Cemetery recently experienced extensive damage to grounds, headstones, structures, and roadways. Help make a difference with our continuing efforts by donating today. We appreciate the continuous support from all of our Greenwood friends and family.
- Harriet Robinson Scott, wife of Dred Scott U.S. Supreme Court freedom suit plaintiff
- Lucy Ann Delaney, wife of Zechariah Delaney, a freed woman of color and courage in pre-Civil War St. Louis
- Charlton Hunt Tandy, Attorney and Civil Rights Activist
Records and Research
Greenwood Cemetery Legacy